Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving Eve

Thanks for being my friend!
Little do we know how much our friends mean to us until they aren't there anymore. This picture spoke to me so much about how even those whom you would think are enemies, can and do become friends.

Thanksgiving in America is the celebration of our Freedom to express our faith, our political views, our speech, our relationships... yet with such freedom comes also responsibility. Thanksgiving is also about remembering to be grateful for those around you who continually give into your life and yet go unnoticed, like being grateful for those who continue to manage the electric plant on holidays, so you can have your lights on during your Thanksgiving meal; thankful for those men and women who protect our streets, those medical personnel who work every holiday to keep our hospitals staffed. Thankful for the men and women of the armed forces who fight to maintain our freedom from terror. Thankful for close friends, new friends, so-so friends... thankful for friends at all. I suppose there are those who want no friends and are thankful that they have none. Thankful for those who have maintained the water plant, so we can have fresh water. Thankful for those who have processed our foods, so we can even have a turkey on our table that we didn't have to go out and kill, pluck its' feathers and then roast on a spit. Thankful for the people who have made the appliances that cook and store our foods. Thankful for the individuals who've made the containers that contain our drinks, whether soft, or hard. Thankful for the musicians who entertain us and the actors who make us laugh. Thankful for the college football games that keep our husbands entertained (well, some of us women too). Thankful for movies after dinner. Thankful to those who process our fuels, so we can have gasoline to put in our cars to drive to Thanksgiving dinner. Thankful for companions, and children, and a roof over my head, and cars to drive, sheets to sleep in, a bed to sleep on, blankets to keep me warm, clothes for my body, shoes for my feet... we really ARE BLESSED!!!

How much more should we be thankful? I am so thankful for good coffee, clean water, toothpaste, toilet paper, a shower to bathe in, my dogs and my cats (probably should start calling this an animal farm), for my church, for my pastors, for my lifelong friends, for even my enemies who teach me more about what love is about. I'm thankful that I have a lovely house, ample eating utensils, soap, shampoo, garbage bags, and even cleaners to clean up the house.

I am most thankful for my children. They are forever teaching me more about who I am and who I am not. They are forever reminding me who my source is, Father God. They are forever reminding me that I could not live without them. They are my dreams ... my joy... and I am so thankful for the lessons in life they teach me. I think it's called the doctoral college of motherhood.

So what are you thankful for? As Pastor Dony McGuire, says, "what could you not do without?" Is there someone you need to call tomorrow to say thank you for bringing you into this world? Is there someone you need to call tomorrow to say I am sorry for not saying thank you earlier?

The best part of all is the fact that I can freely express my gratitude right here, right now at blogger.com.... and I am very mindful of the people at blogger who keep it up and going. Thank you Blogger!

Happy Thanksgiving to the World... may you learn the art of gratitude.

with love,
RamyB

1 comment:

RennyBA said...

Hi Ramy - long time no see. Hope you have a splendid Advent time. Come on over if you like to get the spirit:-)